Medical Optometry Nashville
If you are in need of an optometrist offering Nashville and surrounding communities the latest diagnostics, monitoring, and treatments for glaucoma, keratokonus, macular degeneration, cataracts and other conditions, contact the office of Dr. Walter Choate.
Diagnostics and Treatments for Common Eye Diseases
Your vision is an invaluable asset, and Dr. Choate’s one-of-a-kind practice is designed to meet all of your medical optometry needs. If a degenerative eye condition is compromising your vision, please contact our office today.
Glaucoma refers to a group of eye conditions resulting in damage to the optic nerve, usually caused by abnormally high pressure in the eye.
We use a variety of tools to diagnose glaucoma:
- Gonioscopy is a painless process that can determine if the part of your eye where fluid drains is functioning properly.
- Corneal pachymetry is a fast and painless procedure that measures the thickness of the cornea, or the thin layer covering the iris and pupil. An abnormally thin cornea can be an early indicator of glaucoma.
- Fundus photography is a process of photographing the inside of the eye through a dilated pupil, which can reveal signs of glaucoma.
- The 24-2 Visual Field Test involves the patient focusing on random flashes of light as an automated instrument maps the visual field. The perimeters of your visual field can be used to determine if you have glaucoma, and the stage to which it has advanced.
We monitor glaucoma using optical coherence tomography (OCT), which is a non-invasive digital tool that can assess the condition of the optic nerve using computer imaging. Meanwhile, intraocular pressure (IOP) is gauged using two advanced methods:
- Goldmann Applanation Tonometry is considered the gold standard in measuring IOPs. A disinfected prism is pressed against the cornea, and the amount of pressure required to flatten a small portion of the cornea indicates IOP.
- Paschal Tonometry, an intraocular pressure measurement that accounts for corneal hysteresis, corneal thickness, and ocular pulse amplitude.
We can prescribe eye drops and oral medication to control IOP. If surgery becomes necessary, we can refer you to a trusted specialist, and provide superior pre- and post-surgical care.
A cataract is a clouding of the crystalline lens of the eye. The natural again process, overexposure to ultraviolet light and Trauma can all result in cataracts. When cataracts become severe, the best treatment is to replace the lens with a premium intraocular lens (IOL). We can determine if you are a candidate for this treatment, and refer you to a trusted surgeon who can place the IOL. Dr. Choate and his staff provide both pre- and post-operative care for IOL recipients. If you suspect that you are experiencing cataracts, contact our practice serving Nashville today to schedule a consultation with our optometrist.
Macular degeneration (ARMD) is a condition in which retina damage results in a loss of vision in the center of the visual field. It usually affects older adults. We use Macular Risk genetic testing to determine patients’ risk of developing ARMD. By conducting a DNA test, we can determine who is at highest risk of vision loss due to ARMD. To treat ARMD, we prescribe Fortifeye® vitamins, which provide nutrients necessary to maintain the retina.
Keratoconus usually first presents during adolescence, when collagen (a protein found in the skin and joints) in the body begins to break down. The cornea, which consists largely of collagen, begins to weaken, taking on a cone shape. This results in increasing nearsightedness. We use corneal topography to digitally map the contour of the cornea and prescribe specialty contact lens fitting. This effective, non-invasive treatment is unique to our practice.
Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry eye syndrome occurs when the eye cannot produce enough tears to achieve adequate moisture, resulting in redness, burning and itching. It is most common in old age. In rare instances, diseases such as lupus and arthritis can cause dry eye syndrome. We use anterior segment photography and tear analysis to determine your degree of need. We can prescribe Fortifeye® vitamins to improve tear production and reduce inflammation. If swelling in your eyes is obstructing tear production, we can prescribe Restasis to reduce swelling. We can also prescribe Freshkote® eye drops, an effective solution for moderate to severe dry eye syndrome.
Computer Vision Syndrome
Computer vision syndrome refers to headaches, eye fatigue, and dry eye resulting from heavy computer use. We use the sophisticated Opt-Align vision testing machine to diagnose this condition. If you suffer from computer vision syndrome, we can prescribe high-quality progressive lenses so you can continue your computer use while maintaining health and comfort in your eyes.
Contact Us Today
Dr. Walter Choate and his staff are passionate about helping you experience the best possible vision. Choate Eye Associates offers technologically advanced diagnostic capabilities, specialized treatments, and a one-of-a-kind optical boutique to provide our patients an all-in-one medical optometry resource. If you are experiencing compromised vision or ocular discomfort, contact our office serving Nashville, Gallatin, and Hendersonville to schedule a consultation with our optometrist.