Extended-Wear Contact Lenses
Contact lenses sit directly over the eye to improve vision that has been compromised by nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. Many people prefer contact lenses over glasses because they are completely discreet.
One potential downside of contact lenses is their care and upkeep. Most contact lenses need to be removed and cleaned nightly. However, Dr. Walter Choate offers a wide range of contact lenses at his practice serving Nashville, TN, Goodlettsville, TN, and Hendersonville, TN, including extended-wear contact lenses. Extended-wear lenses can be worn for longer periods of time, so they allow individuals to enjoy uninterrupted clear vision.
How Long Can Extended-wear Lenses Be Worn?
No pair of contact lenses is exactly alike. Even within the category of extended-wear lenses, there are many options to consider. Dr. Choate examines patients’ eyes and fits them with a lens that best meets their unique needs and desires.
The length of time that an extended-wear lens can be worn will depend on the type of lens that is prescribed, which is based on Dr. Choate’s examination of the patient’s eyes. He will determine of patients can tolerate extended-wear lenses, and more specifically, how well the eyes can tolerate overnight wear. The average extended-wear lens is approved for up to seven days of continuous use, but there are some lenses that can be worn for up to 30 days.
Benefits of Extended-wear Contact Lenses
Extended-wear contacts are typically soft lenses that are composed of a silicone hydrogel material. This material allows oxygen to permeate the contact lenses, which is what distinguishes them from daily wear contacts. With extended-wear lenses in place, the eyes still get the oxygen that is needed to minimize the risk of hypoxia, a condition that increases the threat of inflammation and infection.
Because extended-wear lenses can safely be worn continuously, they offer several unique benefits over traditional contact lenses:
- Extended-wear lenses offer clear vision day and night (including during any middle of the night wake-ups)
- Extended-wear lenses require less care and cleaning
- Extended-wear lenses are more convenient than daily wear lenses
- Extended-wear lenses are ideal for individuals with active or unpredictable lifestyles
Tips for Using Extended-wear Contact Lenses
When used as directed, extended-wear contact lenses offer our patients a safe alternative to refractive surgery. However, extended-wear lenses do increase the risk of infection and irritation. To avoid complications from extended-wear lenses, patients should take certain precautions:
- Always wash your hands before handling contact lenses
- Never wear contact lenses while swimming
- Whenever convenient, remove extended-wear lenses prior to sleeping
- Stay away from smoky environments or heavily polluted air
- Remove lenses if any irritation occurs
- Never use extended-wear contact lenses beyond their expiration date
- Follow all doctor and manufacturer instructions precisely
- Report any problems to Dr. Choate as soon as possible
If you suffer from vision impairment and would like to learn more about the benefits of extended-wear contact lenses, send a message to Choate Eye Associates at your earliest convenience or call (615) 805-0712. Dr. Walter Choate would be happy to find the vision solution that best suits your unique lifestyle. Our practice serves patients in Nashville, TN, Goodlettsville, TN, and Hendersonville, TN.